Slight Change of Plans…

Well, I knew I was having Achilles issues before running the Philly Distance Run, so I took 3 days off before the race. However, I gave the race a decent effort so it should come as no surprise that I am a little beat up the week following the PDR. Under normal circumstances it usually takes me about a week to bounce back after racing a half marathon. Going into a half marathon with some injury issues apparently makes it a little worse (who would’ve thought?).

Luckily, since I am completely in the middle of a training cycle, it’s actually an optimum time for me to take 5-7 days off to nurse what could otherwise grow into a bigger issue. So here’s my plan: No running until Monday (best case) or Wednesday of next week. Continue cross training between now and then, along with a barrage of stretching, ibuprofen & ice on the offending leg. Taking the time off now will actually allow me to build the mileage back up so I can still fit in 2 more 20 mile runs before the marathon. One of the bigger bummers of this ordeal is I think I have narrowed down the track workouts as one of the possible culprits with my Achilles. After extolling my love for the track in a bygone blog post, I come to find out the track does not love me back. Oh well, time to swap out the track workouts for a weekly medium-long run once I’m back to normal. The track sucks by the way, I hate the track…

In the meantime, good luck to anyone running an early October marathon – we are less than 3 weeks away from some of the local favorites (Hmm, Steamtown, Mohawk Hudson, Baltimore immediately come to mind). This means right around now is when you’ll start to see crazy, psycho, taper induced blog posting from some of the crazy locals, followed closely by a bunch of endorphin filled race reports. Good stuff man, thank god, something to take my mind off of the slumping economy and the ugliness of campaign season. Good luck everyone!

This entry was posted in Running Injuries. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Slight Change of Plans…

1. BeachRunner says:

Smart changes. Good luck with your recovery. Hope you feel better soon.

2. Blyfinn says:

Hope it gets better soon for ya. I normally get kicked out of the house when I have to take an extended break from running due to I have to much energy going into bothering my family.

3. Gotta Run says:

Smart… smart… SMART. Listen to your body and know when change needs to take place.

BTW – loved the race report. Congrats!!! i think you did great.

4. Spartan7 says:

As the other people have said, good luck with your recovery. A little time off from running now may be all that is required to get your legs back into the shape they need to be in.

Sorry to hear that the track sucks. I must admit, though, I worry about injuries when I am doing speedwork, as I’d hate to yank something out of whack.

Don’t go stir crazy durring your recovery time and Happy Running!

5. Marcy says:

You sound like me LOL. I had to take 2 weeks off (for groin issues) earlier in training. Probably one of the best things I did. It TOTALLY stunk but looking back now it was worth it and I got caught up 🙂 You can too ;D

6. FLYERS26 says:

I have been feeling it in the shins lately… a little shin splints, and am trying to work them out.
    You are doing the smart thing, by taking a breather, and letting your body heal.

7. N.D. says:

Nice rest there. Hope the achilles gets better with the rest! Laurel was also talking about achilles pain – http://laurelruns.blogspot.com/.

8. Laurel says:

That’s a bummer about the achilles. I hope it feels better soon.

I just read about the Steamtown in Runner’s World. We were thinking about trying it next year. Looks fun!

Comments are closed.