Wow, I Need to be in Therapy

Physical therapy that is. I finally bit the bullet and paid a visit to my physical therapist this week. I haven’t seen him since about 2 years ago when I was having some muscle imbalance issues. My Achilles was still bugging me on Monday so I broke down and made the call. After looking me over he determined my problem is actually being caused by a weakened right hip muscle (again with the muscle imbalances). So my right hip is out of whack, ultimately affecting my stride, and actually shortening my leg length which is causing more impact on my Achilles (all the googling in the world wouldn’t have brought me to that conclusion). He thinks this is something that can be corrected with hip exercises and stretching in about two weeks. And the best part: I don’t need to stop running.

I was fearing the worst – when you get to the point where you actually need to go to a doctor about a running pain all of the worst case scenarios in your head scream “no marathon for you”. When I told my doc my race was at the end of November he shrugged it off with a “no problem”. So I am cautiously, cautiously, cautiously optimistic. I am stretching and icing and doing hip exercises and continuing to marathon train like an idiot. I have taken a few days off over the last 2 weeks so it’s time to crank it back up a notch. I’ll take the old Achilles out for a test long run this weekend and see how it’s responding so far.

Good luck to everybody tapering for early October races, a bunch of big ones go down next weekend – watch those hip muscles!

This entry was posted in Philadelphia Marathon 2008, Running Injuries. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Wow, I Need to be in Therapy

1. Marcy says:

Sounds like good news to me ;D ;D Now let’s hope you get back on track and ready to get back into training 😉

2. Marcy says:

OMFG HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAA YOU CRACK ME UP! Only a husband would think of something like that. Oh man, thanks for the laughs.

3. Erin Leigh says:

So great you don’t have to stop. Sounds like you will be good as new in no time at all!!

4. Laurel says:

Maybe I need to strengthen mine. Actually, I know I do. Did he give you any good exercises?

Mine is still bothering me a bit but it’s not as bad as it was. And actually, when I run, it doesn’t hurt. Only when I press down with my big toe. So strange.

Running injuries are so mysterious.

I hope you get better soon. The Philly Marathon awaits you!!!

5. BeachRunner says:

That is great news. Let’s hope it pays dividends quickly.

6. M*J*C says:

I can totally relate to the “no marathon for you feeling”, I thought that might happen a little while ago when my hips were all messed up (ended up being similar unbalanced thing), then again a couple weeks ago with the broken rib. No Marathon? HELL NO, that is not an option!!!!

7. FLYERS26 says:

good news!! now get out there, and get your long run in on Sunday!

8. N.D. says:

The no problems are a good thing but you kind of hope they find something to help you! hope it gets better!

9. Blyfinn says:

If you need therapy I should be committed. I go through the exact same fears. At least you got good news! I seem to always fear the worst.

10. I hope it all works out OK!! Good luck!!

11. Michelle J says:

Great news dude!! Just be careful and take care of yourself!!!

12. SuperDave says:

Well it’s great to here that you don’t have to quit your running. My left achilles has been bothering me for 2 weeks now. Hip exercises? Maybe I’ll see how your regimen is going and take your PT’s advice.

13. Gotta Run says:

With races approaching us all I think I could place myself in a bubble I would. No to injuries and NO to sickness.

Hope each day is getting better. you are SO close 🙂

14. Ted says:

I am not sure if this is the right kind of question to ask. May be stupid but you might want to check with your doctor about the kicks you are using. It could be the culprit. Not sure! No question that you will be ready for the Philadelphia Marathon next month.

Comments are closed.