I Loooove The Track

There it is, the local high school track. It’s about a two mile bike ride from my house, which serves conveniently as the perfect 10 minute warm up and cool down in the morning. I love the track, and since it figures prominently in the Furman training plan, I get to experience my love for it once a week for 16 weeks. There’s just something manly about running track intervals. There’s always the odd running shoe or sweatshirt laying around, like the track swallowed up some runner and spit them out in little nasty pieces (last week there was a used condom, who’s watching these kids?). So this morning it was 5 x 1000 meters with a 400 meter rest interval. Good stuff – when you’re on that last interval and your heart is pumping at 94% of your maximum heart rate and the sweat is pouring off you, you appreciate your passion for running and the effects it has on your body – I love it.

– I love getting up at 5:00am to do this stuff
– I love that my VO2 Max is improving
– I love that my wife is talking about her pacing strategy for Saturday’s race

Oh, and I love that I received the book in the mail yesterday (haven’t gotten too far but Dean hasn’t said anything so far about the track, what a wuss!)

This entry was posted in Marathon Training. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to I Loooove The Track

1. Wendy says:

Meeeee toooooo. Track workouts are by far my favorite in the FIRST plan.

Oh, and what are you doing blogging? Get to reading!

2. Dan Seifring says:

Looks like you have your choice of pools to jump into when you are done running. Get a swim/bike /run brick in.

3. ShoreTurtle says:

Love is a strong emotion. I “like” the track–even more so when I’m done with the work out. I sometimes dread the track. That said, it is probably the best part of the FIRST training. It definitely helps out in races.

I agree with Wendy. Shouldn’t you be reading?

4. Marcy says:

Am I the only person that ABSOLUTELY HATES them?!? GAH! LMAO! I’m fine with the Tempo and Long Runs but Track Repeats I dread.

5. N.D. says:

Inspiring! I love that you love getting up early! I will soon grow to love it again (just starting up with school again). Track workouts sound like a good time, I have never done them, usually just hit up the treadmill. : )

6. robison52 says:

I live in Las Vegas and all the school’s tracks are padlocked and guarded, which I find as strange, didn’t my tax money pay for these tracks??? Probably has to do with liability insurance. I broke down and bought Dean’s book for vacation reading.

7. FLYERS26 says:

I don’t mind the track work. I just don’t have the discipline to do them alone.
    And Love gettting up at 5:00am.. you are a sick individual.

8. Pingback: Slight Change of Plans… | Running in Tennis Sneakers